miércoles, octubre 04, 2006

the asssessor

I'm standing in the bath and the phone rings.

But that's 45 minutes later.

The assessor arrives. He looks like someone's idea of an extra in a British gangster flick. He has a shaven head with sports sunglasses locked on like horns. He's fifty something, strong, purposeful.

The assessor says it won't take a moment. He walks through the flat, footstep by footstep. At first I think he's testing out the floorboards. He writes something on the back of an envelope. He doesn't talk to me. I realise he's measuring the space.

The space of the flat.

It takes five minutes, then he leaves.

I run a bath.

I got there twenty minutes before the assessor.

I was just trying to get the old laptop to go on-line. The BBC homepage came up as 15th March. Israeli commandos had stormed a Palestinian jail. Ballack had agreed to join Chelsea. It refused to refresh. I called my wife up to ask her if she knew why it wasn't working but she wasn't there.

The assessor came and left.

I had a pitta bread. Took a fearsome pleasure from eating off a brown plate, using a knife. The bath was running. I figured I might never get the chance again. To use the bath. It's a good bath. And I needed one.

Later I'd leave with two pairs of shoes in a plastic bag and one yellow llama made of salt. Retreat is a slow process.

The phone rang. I was in the bath. I stood up. Water dripped off me. It was my wife, phoning me back. She told me there was something wrong with the connection. Later I thought that didn't make sense. As the laptop had gone on-line. It was Explorer that wasn't working. But I didn't think that at the time. I was too worried she was going to realise I was in the bath. Worried that she'd hear a drip hit the water. She sensed something was up. She asked me if I was ok and I said I'm fine. Trying to conceal the steam. The towels. My wet skin. On the end of a line.